BRREA BRREA BRREA BRREA BRREA BRREA BRREA BRREA
The average home sale price for Brantford and Brant County in March was $420,309.

Our History

1940’s

  • In its inception, BRREA was an informal committee run entirely by its members
  • In 1943, a three-way agreement was signed, stating that local board members had to join the Provincial and National Associations.
  • In 1948 there was an effort to have all real estate agents join the association.
  • The Listing Form was developed in 1949.
  • City Council recognized the Realtor Association by having them appraise Market Square.
  • The Board made an agreement with the Yellow Pages to recognize Board Brokerages as members.

1950’s

  • In 1950, President of the Ontario Association of Real Estate (OREA) was invited to speak at the Annual Meeting regarding the importance of organized real estate.
  • Two Professional Standards had to be dealt with in 1950:
    • A person was showing a property but did not have a real estate license.
    • A salesperson claimed to be a member of the Realtor Association in his ads, when he was not.
  • Photo Co-op System was introduced nationally.
  • In 1952, the Board hired Muriel Robinson as their first secretary, who earned a weekly salary of $15.00 and worked from home.
  • In 1952, the first set of rules were established by the Board which included Co-Operative Listings and Submission of Offers.
  • The Board was incorporated in 1954.
  • Scholarship Awards of $25/year were given by the Association to top students in various subjects across all grades.
  • The Brant Law Society worked in conjunction with the Board to develop professional forms for Board Members. This was unique to the Brantford Board.

1960’s

  • In 1960, an Arbitration Committee was formed.
  • The Board issued a stern warning to Members regarding unethical practices
    • If the Board did not like the ethics and business practices of an applicant, they would be denied Membership.
  • Social activities were a big part of BRREA’s Public Relations in the 1960’s, including the Garden Show and Christmas Tree Lighting Contests.
  • In 1962, the Co-operative Union of Canada sued the Canadian Association (CREA) for a trademark issue caused by the use of the Co-op Listing System, leading to the adoption of MLS® in place of the Photo Co-op System.
    • The brand was subsequently renamed to MLS® System in 1960’s and Multiple Listing Service in 1977.
  • In 1968, the Board passed a rule that disallowed open houses to be held on Sunday, and the Interboard MLS® System was introduced.
  • In 1968, the Board opened its first office at 9 Queen Street (Toronto Dominion Bank).

1970’s

  • A request in 1970 by Members to repeal the Sunday open house By-law was rejected.
  • Due to a mail strike in 1970, the Board shifted to pick-up mail services and never went back.
  • Provincial-wide salespeople attempted to form a union, but it was not successful
  • In 1971, the Board’s name was officially changed from Brantford Realtor Association Inc. to Brantford Regional Real Estate Association Inc.
  • Worksheets were developed, which are still used today
  • In the mid-70’s, a great emphasis was placed on developing good forms and strengthening the By-laws, which continued into the 80’s.
  • The Board only allowed membership for full-time agents, even though the Registrar’s policy changed to allow membership for part-time agents.
  • The Board published anonymous results of Ethics hearings in hopes of deterring membership from acting unethically.
  • The Ontario Recovery Fund was established to protect salespeople in case of bankruptcy or loss of commission from Brokerages.
  • Franchises began to evolve throughout the decade.
  • By the end of the decade, MLS® books replaced the Tear Sheet System, and were well received by the membership.

1980’s

  • In 1981, interest rates rose above 20% which had a big impact on the market, as Power of Sales increased drastically.
  • The Board made an agreement with CMHC that all Power of Sale listings would be posted on the Board.
  • In 1983, CMHC set up an office to display all Power of Sales in Brantford, which was open to the public for viewing 7 days a week. This was unique to the Brantford Board.
  • In 1984, there was a strong push towards energy efficient homes.
  • In 1986, the Board Office was relocated to 108 Colborne Street (Grey’s Music Centre).
  • In 1988, eleven Boards in Canada were raided simultaneously by the Competition Bureau, seizing all board documents.
    • At an emergency CREA Board meeting called in July, the Prohibition Order was formalized by the Federal Competition Bureau.
    • At the August CREA Assembly Meeting, all Boards in Canada signed the Prohibition Order, agreeing to comply with its stipulations.
  • In October 1988, the first computerized version of MLS® listings was published.
  • In 1989, the MLS® Committee was renamed to the Computer & MLS® Committee.

1990s

  • Faxes of listings were introduced in 1990.
  • Members were advised to photocopy faxes because in 6 months, they disappeared, as there was no system that kept them stored.
  • In 1990, a retirement party was held for Muriel Robinson, after 38 years of service to the Board, where she was given a car as a retirement present.
    • Louise Sharland was hired as the new Executive Officer in 1991.
  • In 1991, the Board adopted OREA’s policy for Professional Standards Complaints and Arbitration Hearings.
  • In 1992, the Ontario Recovery Fund became bankrupt, and was replaced by the OREA Commission Trust Agreement.
  • The Board celebrated its 50th Anniversary in 1992 and moved to a new office at 50 Roy Boulevard.
  • Throughout the 1990’s, the MLS® Computer System continued evolving.
  • In 1993, the Patrick J. Harvey Memorial Award was established, honouring one of BRREA’s founding fathers and an important member of the real estate industry.
    • The first recipient was William Hopkins. Other recipients include Hugh Foy in 1997 and John Oddi in 2017.
  • In 1998, the Scholarship Award was renamed the Gladys E. Pegg Memorial Award.
    • Gladys Pegg was an active member of the Board, served as President for two years, and was a strong advocate for education.
  • In 1999, the Prohibition Order was expunged and replaced by the Pledge of Competition, which still exists today.

2000’s

  • In 2000, the Board opened a new office at 106 George Street, where it is currently located.
  • REBBA & RECO Code of Ethics were being developed and introduced to Board activities.
  • The 2000’s saw an upsurge of technology as the MLS® system went digital.
  • MLS® catalogues were eliminated in 2004 when the full switch over to computers occurred.
  • Brantford and Hamilton signed an access agreement in 2005 allowing the exchange of information between boards.
  • Realtor.ca was rebranded to MLS.ca in 2008.
  • In 2009, Brantford chose Realty Server as its MLS® provider.

2010’s

  • In 2010, Competition Bureau across Canada became concerned that Boards were discriminating against different business models that Brokerages were offering, resulting in the Consent Agreement.
  • In 2011, Louise Sharland passed away after 20 years of service to the board.
    • Julia Price-Greig was hired as the new Executive Officer.
  • In 2013, it was established that BRREA would have a joint MLS® database with Hamilton-Burlington board.
  • In 2014, the joining of Fusion MLS® System was met with resistance by some of the membership.
    • These concerns were acknowledged, and the Board put a strong effort into working out issues and making the transition as smooth as possible.
  • The final stages of Broker Load were put in place following adoption of Fusion.
  • In 2014, Julia Price-Greig moved to another board, and Viktoria Tumilowicz became the interim Executive Officer in 2015.
  • ORTIS (Ontario Regional Technology Information System) was developed and was adopted by the Board in May 2016.
  • The conversion from Fusion to Matrix was much smoother than the one previous.
  • Mike Carson was named the Board’s Chief Executive Officer in 2016.
  • In 2016, major renovations occurred at the Board Office.
  • In 2017, the Board celebrated its 75th Anniversary.